We seek top law students from across the country who exhibit enthusiasm for intellectual property law, a natural curiosity for science and technology, and a commitment to living in the Pacific Northwest. Our future depends upon our summer associates, and we are committed to training and mentoring our summer associates so that they become long-term members of the firm.
With a long-term vision, we carefully hire our summer associates with the hope that each will succeed, receive and accept an offer to join the firm, and ultimately build a successful legal career at Klarquist.
We are committed to promoting diversity within Klarquist, and offer a fellowship to law students who come from backgrounds historically underrepresented in the patent legal professions (e.g. based on gender, race, ethnicity, culture, religion, sexual orientation, military service, and disability.) Click here to learn more about our Diversity Fellowship.
Working at Klarquist:
When you join Klarquist as a summer associate, you will be among a select group of 1L and 2L students who share your enthusiasm, values, and desire to learn. Summer associates at Klarquist perform real-work assignments that would otherwise be done by our attorneys or agents, becoming involved in all aspects of patent and trademark prosecution and/or litigation. Our mentor program provides support from associates and partners who are dedicated to your success, and several social activities will provide you the opportunity to see what life in Portland has to offer.
Click here for testimonials from our former Summer Associates.
Summer associates will be selected based on the criteria listed below.
- The individual must be a law student in good standing at an ABA approved law school.
- The individual preferably should have an undergraduate or graduate degree in science or engineering, or experience sufficient to sit for the patent bar. (Additionally, candidates interested in our biotechnology practice group must have a Ph.D.)
- The individual must demonstrate a record of academic achievement.
- It is preferred, but not required, that the individual has a commitment to practicing law in Portland, Oregon.
- The individual must demonstrate an interest in practicing intellectual property law.
How to Apply:
To fill out an application for the Summer Associate Program, please click on the “Apply Now” link below.
Please note, you will be asked to submit the following materials while filling out your application:
- Current resume
- Cover letter
- Undergraduate, graduate (if applicable), and law school transcripts
- Legal writing sample
Our Hiring Process:
We participate in IP-focused job fairs such as the Loyola Patent Interview Program, the SFIPLA Job Fair, the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair, and the Northwest Minority Job Fair. We also conduct on-campus interviews at Lewis & Clark, University of Oregon, University of Washington, and Seattle University and collect resumes from law schools nationwide. Each spring, we participate in resume collects for first year students.
Want to Learn More?
Our careers brochure provides additional information about the firm, our summer associate program, and why Klarquist could be the place for you.
Download our careers brochure.