Todd practices in all aspects of intellectual property law, with an emphasis on patent litigation and post-grant challenges before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). He leads Klarquist’s Post-Grant Practice Group at Klarquist, which represents both patent owners and patent challengers in inter partes reviews (IPR), covered business method (CBM) reviews, and reexamination proceedings. Todd is an active member of the PTAB Bar Association and a frequent contributor to the Association’s PTAB Round-up.
Todd’s expertise spans a wide range of technologies, with substantial experience in mechanical, software, operating system, and internet technologies. Before law school, he worked as an information systems consultant for Andersen Consulting, now known as Accenture.
With extensive experience litigating intellectual property matters, Todd has a deep understanding of the legal and technical issue his clients face. He takes pride in delivering efficient and practical solutions to his clients.
Todd joined Klarquist as a lateral associate in 2000 and became partner in 2007. He has previously served as Klarquist’s Managing Partner and Litigation Department Chair.
- J.D., University of Missouri, Columbia, 1996
- B.S., Industrial Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, 1991
- Oregon, 2000
- Missouri, 1996 (inactive)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2014 (Reg. No. 73,232)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
Software & Internet Technology
Mobile Devices & Applications
- Secretary, Communications Committee, PTAB Bar Association
- Treasurer, Oregon Patent Law Association
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Member, Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Member, Athletic Committee, Multnomah Athletic Club
- Volunteer, Multnomah County Children’s Representation Project
Todd has represented parties in patent and trademark cases involving a wide variety of technologies, including the following cases (represented party underlined):
- D Three Enterprises, LLC v. SunModo Corporation, No. 2017-1909, 2017-1910 (Fed. Cir.): Patent infringement litigation concerning solar panel mounts.
- Global Equity Management (SA) Pty. Ltd. v Expedia, Inc., et al., No. 2:16-cv-00095-RWS-RSP (E.D. Tex.): Patent infringement litigation concerning a graphic user interface for system virtualization.
- Nonend Inventions N.V. v. T-Mobile USA Inc., Case No. 2:15-cv-624 (E.D. Tex.): Patent infringement litigation concerning wireless streaming technology.
- Grupo Bimbo S A B de CV Barcel USA LLC v. Snak-King Corp., Case No. 2:13-cv-2147 (C.D. Cal.): Multi-faceted case involving trademark, trade dress, and patent infringement allegations.
- BioControl, LLC v. Microsoft Corporation, Case No. 2:14-cv-640 (E.D. Tex.): Patent infringement litigation concerning biofeedback regulation.
- Walker Digital, LLC v. Amazon.com, Inc. et al., Case No. 11-cv-313 (D. Del.): Patent infringement litigation concerning online promotions.
- World Class Technology Corporation v. Ormco Corporation, Case Nos. 3:13-cv-401 and 3:13-cv-441 (D. Or.): Patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation litigation concerning orthodontic brackets.
- I2Z Technology, LLC v. Microsoft Corporation, Case No. 3:11-cv-1103 (D. Or.): Patent infringement litigation concerning synchronizing portions of a computer display.
- Olympic Developments AG, LLC v. Amazon.com, Inc. et al., Case Nos. 3:11-cv-1655 (N.D. Cal.), 2:11-cv-0391 (W.D. Wash.) and 2:10-cv-7237 (C.D. Cal.): Patent infringement litigation concerning e-commerce and online payments.
- EMG Technology, LLC v. Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. et al., Case No. 6:10-cv-0536 (E.D. Tex.): Represented Time Warner, Inc. and Time, Inc. in a patent infringement litigation concerning mobile devices and mobile Internet technologies.
- DDB Technologies, L.L.C. v. Time, Inc., Case No. 1:10-cv-0428 (W.D. Tex.): Patent infringement litigation concerning simulating sporting events over the Internet.
- EMG Technology, LLC v. Microsoft Corporation, Case No. 09-cv-0367 (E.D. Tex.): Patent infringement litigation concerning mobile devices and mobile Internet technologies.
- Sandvik AB v. Rockmore International, Inc., Case No. 3:05-cv-575 (D. Or.): Patent infringement litigation concerning drilling equipment technology.
- Research Corporation Technologies, Inc. v. Microsoft Corporation, Case No. 4:01-cv-0658 (D. Ariz.): Patent infringement litigation concerning halftoning technology.
- Veritas Operating Software (Symantec Corp.) v. Microsoft Corporation, Case No. 2:06-cv-0703 (W.D. Wash.): Patent infringement litigation concerning operating system deployment and recovery technology.
- Enpat, Inc. v. General Electric Co., Case No. 6:08-cv-1895 (M.D. Fla.): Patent infringement litigation involving wind turbine and microcontroller technology.
- Tobin Family Education & Health Foundation, et al. v. Amazon.com, Inc., Case No. 2:09-cv-0160 (M.D. Fla.): Patent infringement litigation involving affiliate marketing.
- BTG Int’l v. Amazon.com, Inc., Case No. 04-cv-1264 (D. Del.): Patent infringement litigation involving affiliate marketing and online advertising.
- Reiffin v. Microsoft Corporation, Case No. 98-cv-0266 (N.D. Cal.): Patent infringement litigation concerning multithreading operating system technology.
- K2 Sports, Inc. v. Take-Two Interactive, Case No. 05-cv-6915 (S.D.N.Y.): Trademark infringement litigation regarding the “K2” mark and Take-Two’s “2K Sports” mark.