Stacey focuses his practice on all aspects of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Stacey has extensive experience in patent prosecution in chemical, biotechnology, and mechanical technologies, with a primary emphasis in preparing U.S. and foreign applications related to pharmaceuticals, drug delivery, and vaccines.
Stacey joined Klarquist in 1990 as an associate and became partner in 1998. He served as the firm’s managing partner from 2010 to 2011.
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1990
- Completed course-work and exams required for M.S. in Organic Chemistry, Oregon State University, 1987
- B.A., magna cum laude in Biochemistry, University of Colorado, Boulder, 1984
- Oregon, 1990
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1992 (Reg. No. 36,011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Life Sciences & Biotechnology
Electrical & Semiconductors
Agriculture & Food Science
University of Oregon
Teaching Assistant, Department of Chemistry, 1987 – 1990
Oregon State University
Research Assistant, Dr. J.D. White, 1984 – 1987
Pharmaceutical synthesis; structure determination of protein and natural products; molecular modeling; drug delivery, particularly prodrug synthesis.
University of Colorado
Research Assistant, Dr. David M. Walba, Department of Chemistry, 1982 – 1984
Synthesis, structure determination of natural products, and molecular modeling.
- Intellectual Property Executive Committee, Oregon State Bar, 1996 – present
- Former Member, Committee 108, Intellectual Property Law Section, ABA 1994 – 2002
- Past Chair, Intellectual Property Executive Committee, Oregon State Bar, 2000
- Past President, Oregon Patent Law Association, 2002
Honors & Awards
- 2012 – 2018 The Best Lawyers in America©, Portland, OR, Patent Law
Presentations & Publications
- Perri, S.T., Slater, S.C., Toske, S.G., and White, J.D. (1990). Tandem Photochemical Synthesis of N Amino ß lactams From Pyrazolidin-3-Ones. J. Organic Chem., 55:6037 6047.
- Walba, D.M.; Slater, S.C.; Thurmes, W.N.; Clark, N.A.; Handschy, M.A., and Supon, F. (1986). Design and Synthesis of a New Ferroelectric Liquid Crystal Family. Liquid Crystals Containing a Non Racemic 2 Alkoxy-1 Propoxy Unit. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 108:5210 5221.
- Presented “Synthetic Approaches to Penicillin” at ACS regional meeting, Portland, Oregon, 1986.