Stacey has served as the firm’s managing partner twice, from 2019-2020 and 2010-2011. Stacey focuses his practice on all aspects of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Stacey has extensive experience in patent prosecution in chemical, biotechnology, and mechanical technologies, with a primary emphasis in preparing U.S. and foreign applications related to pharmaceuticals, drug delivery, and vaccines.
Stacey joined Klarquist in 1990 as an associate and became partner in 1998.
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1990
- Completed course-work and exams required for M.S. in Organic Chemistry, Oregon State University, 1987
- B.A., magna cum laude in Biochemistry, University of Colorado, Boulder, 1984
- Oregon, 1990
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1992 (Reg. No. 36,011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Life Sciences & Biotechnology
Electrical & Semiconductors
Agriculture & Food Science
University of Oregon
Teaching Assistant, Department of Chemistry, 1987 – 1990
Oregon State University
Research Assistant, Dr. J.D. White, 1984 – 1987
Pharmaceutical synthesis; structure determination of protein and natural products; molecular modeling; drug delivery, particularly prodrug synthesis.
University of Colorado
Research Assistant, Dr. David M. Walba, Department of Chemistry, 1982 – 1984
Synthesis, structure determination of natural products, and molecular modeling.
- Intellectual Property Executive Committee, Oregon State Bar, 1996 – present
- Former Member, Committee 108, Intellectual Property Law Section, ABA 1994 – 2002
- Past Chair, Intellectual Property Executive Committee, Oregon State Bar, 2000
- Past President, Oregon Patent Law Association, 2002
Honors & Awards
- 2012 – 2018, 2020 – 2021 The Best Lawyers in America©, Portland, OR – Patent Law
Presentations & Publications
- Perri, S.T., Slater, S.C., Toske, S.G., and White, J.D. (1990). Tandem Photochemical Synthesis of N Amino ß lactams From Pyrazolidin-3-Ones. J. Organic Chem., 55:6037 6047.
- Walba, D.M.; Slater, S.C.; Thurmes, W.N.; Clark, N.A.; Handschy, M.A., and Supon, F. (1986). Design and Synthesis of a New Ferroelectric Liquid Crystal Family. Liquid Crystals Containing a Non Racemic 2 Alkoxy-1 Propoxy Unit. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 108:5210 5221.
- Presented “Synthetic Approaches to Penicillin” at ACS regional meeting, Portland, Oregon, 1986.