Richard’s practice includes all aspects of intellectual property law, with a focus on the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications.
Richard’s focus is in chemistry, biochemistry, nanotechnology, and life science-related technologies. He previously worked as a scientist and engineer in academic, industry, and national laboratory settings. His extensive research experience is in areas including organic and polymeric electronics, electrochemistry, battery material development, cleanroom device fabrication, organic and bioorganic chemistry, sensor material fabrication, wood and paper products, and nanotechnology.
Richard joined Klarquist as an associate in 2018.
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 2018
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering and Nanotechnology, University of Washington, 2012
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, 2008
- B.S., magna cum laude in Chemistry, Eastern Oregon University, 2003
Agriculture & Food Science
Electrical & Semiconductors
Life Sciences & Biotechnology
Medical Devices & Diagnostics
University of Iowa College of Law
Iowa City, Iowa
Research Assistant, 2016 – 2018
Shumaker & Sieffert
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Summer Associate, 2017
Kinney & Lange
Summer Law Clerk, 2016
Federal Way, Washington
Contract Scientist, 2009 – 2012
University of Washington
Research/Teaching Assistant, 2004 – 2008
Pacific Northwest National Laboratories
Chemical Research Fellow, 2002, 2003 – 2004
Eastern Oregon University
La Grande, Oregon
Teaching Assistant, 2001 – 2003
Presentations & Publications
- Champion, Richard D.; Wiley, James H. “Reduction of the Adsorption of Quaternary Ammonium Salts onto Cellulosic Fibers” US Patent No. 8,328,988. filed March 15, 2010, issued December 11, 2012.
- Champion, Richard D.; Cheng, Kai-Fang; Pai, Chia-Ling; Chen, Wen-Chang; Jenekhe, Samson A. “Electronic properties and field-effect transistors of thiophene-based donor-acceptor conjugated copolymers.” Macromolecular Rapid Communications (2005), 26(23), 1835-1840.
- Zhu, Yan; Champion, Richard D.; Jenekhe, Samson A. “Conjugated Donor-Acceptor Copolymer Semiconductors with Large Intramolecular Charge Transfer: Synthesis, Optical Properties, Electrochemistry, and Field Effect Carrier Mobility of Thienopyrazine-Based Copolymers.” Macromolecules (2006), 39(25), 8712-8719.
- Wu, Pei-Tzu; Kim, Felix S.; Champion, Richard D.; Jenekhe, Samson A. “Conjugated Donor-Acceptor Copolymer Semiconductors. Synthesis, Optical Properties, Electrochemistry, and Field-Effect Carrier Mobility of Pyridopyrazine-Based Copolymers.” Macromolecules (2008), 41(19), 7021-7028.
- Garcia, Betzaida Batalla; Feaver, Aaron M.; Zhang, Qifeng; Champion, Richard D.; Cao, Guozhong; Fister, Tim T.; Nagle, Ken P.; Seidler, Gerald T. “Effect of pore morphology on the electrochemical properties of electric double layer carbon cryogel supercapacitors.” Journal of Applied Physics (2008), 104(1), 014305/1-014305/9.
- Liu, Dawei; Xiao, Peng; Zhang, Yunhuai; Garcia, Betzaida B.; Zhang, Qifeng; Guo, Qing; Champion, Richard; Cao, Guozhong. “TiO2 Nanotube Arrays Annealed in N2 for Efficient Lithium-Ion Intercalation.” Journal of Physical Chemistry C (2008), 112(30), 11175-11180.
- Liu, Dawei; Zhang, Qifeng; Xiao, Peng; Garcia, Betzaida B.; Guo, Qing; Champion, Richard; Cao, Guozhong. “Hydrous Manganese Dioxide Nanowall Arrays Growth and Their Li+ Ions Intercalation Electrochemical Properties.” Chemistry of Materials (2008), 20(4), 1376-1380.
- Hancock, Jessica M.; Gifford, Angela P.; Champion, Richard D.; Jenekhe, Samson A. “Block Co-oligomers for Organic Electronics and Optoelectronics: Synthesis, Photophysics, Electroluminescence, and Field-Effect Charge Transport of Oligothiophene-b-oligoquinoline-b-oligothiophene Triblock Co-oligomers.” Macromolecules (2008) 41(10), 3588–359.